Home Page

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Stromboli


There was a Halloween Potluck at work yesterday and all my co-workers dressed up. I dressed up like a pregnant woman to freak my boss out, but I don't think he was fooled. Oh well, no year off work for me...

At our last work potluck lunch on Canada Day, I brought my Layered Party Sandwich. Since I never like to do the same thing twice, I had to come up with an original idea for Halloween. I like to do a main dish because there always seems to be an over-abundance of crackers and cheese and veggies and dip. So this time I made a Stomboli (which is actually just the same thing as the Layered Party Sandwich put together a slightly different way - but shhhh).

This is very easy to make. I have made this before with homemade bread dough (which makes it better, and less fattening), but I just didn't want to wake up at 4am to get started (because the dough needs to rise). Using Pillsbury Crescent rolls is a nice foolproof alternative.

And again, as with the Layered Party Sandwich, there wasn't any leftover to bring home to Mario, and I even made two loaves. But I will make it again sometime for home.

And, just so you know, it wouldn't normally be quite so flat, but I brought in my tray and put in the fridge at work, and some other people came along and put their stuff on top of it (grrrr). So my Stomboli got squished!


Stromboli
makes 1 loaf

1 can Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
1 lb assorted Italian Style Cold Cuts (e.g. capicolla, proscuitto, genoa salami)
8 slices provolone cheese
4 whole roasted red peppers
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup basil pesto
1 egg

1. Lay out crescent dough and pinch all the seams together. Roll out until you have a rectangle about 16" by 12" (roughly).

2. Spread basil pesto generously all over dough. Leave a 1" border around the edge.

3. Across the bottom of the long edge lay a row of one type of cold cut (don't be skimpy). Then above that, but overlapping a little, a row of cheese (about 4 slices). Then the next type of cold cut, another row of cheese, and the last row of cold cuts.

4. On top of the first row of coldcuts, arrange the roasted red peppers and the sliced onions.

5. Starting with the long edge, roll the entire thing up like a jelly roll. Fold the ends under to seal.

6. Beat the egg slightly, and brush over the top of the loaf.

7. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 375F.