Home Page

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Prime Rib Roast and Yorkshire Pudding


As most of you might know, I ran a poll last week on my blog to help decide what I would make for dinner for Mario on Father's Day and much to Mario's delight, the Prime Rib came out on top.

The general rule when you are buying a standing rib roast is to get about one rib per two people. I only needed enough for two, plus a tiny bit for the kids, but you really can't get a standing rib roast with one rib, because then it's a rib steak (and it won't stand). The butcher asked me how big I wanted it and first I giggled like a dummy because I have a dirty mind, then I pulled my thoughts out of the gutter, and I said "three ribs please".

Why I said three ribs, I don't know. As soon as he cut it I knew it was WAY too big. And I stood there in front of the counter with a sense of impending doom as I watched him weight it then slap the evil little sticker on the package.... $47.89.... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!! Holy Moly. I should have said something, made him cut it smaller, but I felt stupid, so off I went with my massive prime rib for two!

I came home and showed it to Mario. After we finished re-starting his heart, he cut it into two roasts and I froze one for later.

There isn't really much of a recipe for the roast. We slice 2 deep holes into the meat, and shove in some whole garlic cloves. The outside gets rubbed with a little oil, and then seasoned with seasoning salt, pepper and Montreal Steak Spice. We cook this on the barbecue over indirect heat until it reaches 145° (for medium rare). We cooked our 3lb roast for just about 1.5 hours to get this temperature.


Yorkshire pudding is a mandatory side dish for prime rib. I love it, and always have. It is best if you use fat drippings from the beef instead of oil, but you can substitute oil if you don't have drippings or you want to be 'healthy' (rolling my eyes). I placed a brand new clean drip pan under the beef in the barbeque so that I was able to collect the drippings about 30 minutes before the roast was done.


One other note: for the gravy, I cheated and used a packaged mix. I know its bad and I would never do this in the winter. In the winter I would use a gravy separator to get rid of most of the fat and make the gravy in the roasting pan using water from the boiled vegetables and flour to thicken. This is harder when you are barbecuing the roast. But the added flavour from the barbecue, I think, more than makes up for the packaged gravy mix.

The very BEST part about this dinner, is the leftovers!!! Yummy hot roast beef sandwiches the next night for dinner!

Yorkshire Pudding

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup fat drippings
3/4 tsp salt

1. Mix flour, milk and eggs together. Beat well. You can let the batter sit for about 30 minutes before you cook.

2. Place about 1 tbsp of hot fat in each of 4 large muffin tins. Place the muffin tin in a oven preheated to 450°F until the fat is hot and bubbly.

3. Take the tin out of the oven and pour in the batter. Place the tin back in and cook for anout 25 to 30 minutes. Don't take them out of the oven too soon, or else they will fall. They should puff up really high, and get nice and brown and crispy on the outside.