Home Page

Monday, June 18, 2007

Cape Cod Apple Pudding


This is the last of the packets that I cooked for dinner on Friday night to go along with the Lamb Shoulder Chops and the Potato Packets. This was the first time I have made this recipe on the barbecue. According to the original Fanny Farmer recipe, you would make this dessert on the stovetop. Just cook the apples until tender in a saucepan and then put the dough on top and cover. Everything gets simmered for about 20 minutes until the dough is cooked.

Instead, I tried sealing the whole thing in a packet and cooking it on the barbecue. I used a can of apple pie filling because I didn't have any fresh apples on hand and because I would have had to pre-cook the apples in the house, and this meal was all about not dirtying dishes! Although I still managed to make quite a mess in the kitchen... One of these days I should post some before and after pictures of my kitchen, the nice clean tidy before shot, and the "tornado has swept through" shot. In case anyone was ever wondering why I don't post those "step-by-step" photos to show the food at different stages of cooking, it is because I would be too embarrassed by the disaster in the background.... Never fear though, when I'm all done cooking... Claire cleans everything up!


Cape Cod Apple Pudding
adapted from Fanny Farmer

Filling:
1 can apple pie filling
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp slivered almonds

Dough:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup milk

1. On a large sheet of foil, dump the apple pie filling and sprinkle with cinnamon, raisins and slivered almonds.

2. Mix biscuit dough: stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.

3. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Stir in the milk.

4. Knead dough about 10 times and roll or pat out into about a 8-10" circle.

5. Lay the circle of dough on top of the apples, and seal the packet.

6. Place on the grill and cook for about 30 minutes, until the dough is cooked through.

7. Open the packet and invert onto a serving dish. Serve with ice cream.