Home Page

Monday, April 16, 2007

Water Chestnut and Coconut Muffins


I decided to enter my first blog event and I thought Muffin Monday would suit me well. How could I screw up a muffin recipe? WELL, ever had a Fruit Loop Muffin? That was my first attempt in my quest for a new and original muffin recipe. At least now I know why it was so original. It was because putting Fruit Loops into muffins is an utterly ridiculous thing to do. The bits of fruit loop in the muffin were chewy and tough (my kids loved them, but I really can't explain their tastes).

On to my next experiment. It seems that every kind of muffin in the world has already been invented. If an ingredient exists, somebody somewhere has baked it into a muffin. Except...wait for it...water chestnuts. TA DUM! Now I really can't be 100% sure that no one else has done this, but I couldn't find a muffin recipe that called for water chestnuts (and I did look).

Best part of all? It was delicious! I decided to combine coconut and water chestnuts because they both have an Asian feel, and at the last minute I decided to throw a broiled coconut icing on top. The little pieces of water chestnut in the muffin were crunchy and sweet. It was actually pretty good!! (I sound suprised because I am). I will make these again.

Water Chestnut and Coconut Muffins

2 cups flour

1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder

1 egg

1 cup milk

1/3 cup oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup water chestnuts, diced
1 cup sweetened coconut

Broiled Coconut Icing:
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

3 tbsp heavy cream

1. Mix flour, baking powder and salt.


2. In another bowl, whisk: egg, oil, brown sugar and milk.


3. Add wet ingredient to dry. Stir in coconut and water chestnuts.

4. Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.

5. While muffins are baking mix together all ingredients for icing. When muffins are done, spread icing on top and place muffin tin under broiler for 2-3 minutes until muffins are golden brown.