Home Page

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Potato Pancakes


I was just scrolling through my blog and I noticed that the last 4 recipes I posted had rice in them. I wouldn't want anyone to think that's all we eat around here, so to prove it, here is a potato recipe. I love potato pancakes. We often have them on the side if I am making a big "weekend" breakfast. Or, on occasion, I make them as a side dish with dinner. Sometimes I even take them to work for lunch and I eat them cold with light cream cheese and apple sauce on them. For some strange inexplicable reason, my kids don't eat these well. I keep telling them, "they are just like the ones you get at McDonald's for breakfast". Yeah, they ain't buying THAT! Anyway, I am sure it just a phase and if I keep making them, eventually my kids will come around.

Sometimes I add a couple of tablespoons of finely diced onions, which makes them even better but exponentially reduces the odds that my kids might eat them. In the past I have fried these in oil, but lately I've been baking them with a little bit of cooking spray to be healthier. They are nearly as good baked (but let's face it, EVERYTHING is better fried - obviously).

Potato Pancakes

4 medium potatoes, peeled
1 heaping tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp flour
1 egg
salt and pepper

1. Grate potatoes on a cheese grater and squeeze out the excess liquid.

2. Mix with sour cream, flour, egg, and salt and pepper.

3. Either (a) heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat and add potatoes by large spoonfuls. Flatten them out with the back of your spatula and fry until browned on each side, or (b) drop by large spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Flatten them out and bake at 400F for about 10 minutes per side (when I flip them I spray a little more cooking spray underneath each one).