Home Page

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Cinnamon Banana Bread


It always happens the same way. I come home from work and notice a big pile of frightening fermenting bananas (FFBs) sitting on the counter. I head immediately to the internet and start googling: "banana muffins", "interesting banana muffins", "unusual banana bread". This time I googled: "banana and cream of wheat muffins", and there is actually a recipe for that! It had no eggs or oil though, so I was skeptical. Invariably each time I try something interesting and/or unusual, I wish I had stuck to my faithful boring old banana bread recipe. This recipe is moist and foolproof and it can be made into muffins or a loaf by altering the cooking times (20-25 minutes for muffins). Here's a hot tip for FFB's: if you don't have time to turn them into fabulous FFB bread (FFFBB) right that minute, just peel and mash the FFBs and freeze them in ziploc bags, measuring a cup to each baggy. Then you have handy pre-frozen, pre-measured baggies of FFBM (frightening fermenting banana mush).

Cinnamon Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups FFB, mashed
3/4 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two loaf pans, or muffin tins.

2. Beat sugar and eggs until smooth. Add oil and mix well.

3. Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon) and add to wet mixture.

4. Stir in mashed FFBs and raisins. Pour into loaf pans and bake 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.