Home Page

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Chicken Thighs with Garlic and Lemon


No, you didn't read the recipe wrong and it isn't a typo. There are twenty cloves of garlic in this meal. Don't let that turn you off, I suffered no ill effects. In fact, after I had dinner I went to the gym and huffed and puffed in my personal trainer's face and she didn't even keel over. My kids picked the garlic cloves out, but that was fine, I was happy to eat the extras.

I have no idea whether Mario really liked this recipe or not, because I didn't ask him. He usually needs to be asked "so, honey, what'd you think?" If I don't ask, I get nothing. Last night I got stubborn and refused to ask, instead I got up and start banging things around while I was doing the dishes. Then I noticed Mario slinking out of the kitchen with that "what on earth did I do wrong this time?" look on his face.... (just read the blog sweetie)

Chicken Thighs with Garlic and Lemon
(serves 4)

8 chicken thighs (I prefer to use boneless and skinless)
2 1/2 cups chicken bouillon
20 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp flour
2/3 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste

1. Simmer the garlic cloves in the chicken bouillon, covered for 40 minutes.

2. Heat the butter and oil in a skillet and brown the chicken thighs on all sides. Transfer chicken thighs to a casserole dish.

3. Remove the garlic cloves from the chicken stock and arrange them around the chicken thighs. Add the lemon slices on top.

4. Add the flour to the drippings remaining in the skillet from the chicken and stir, cooking for about 30 seconds. Add the wine, stirring constantly. Add the broth. Bring to a boil and stir until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Cover and bake at 375F for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve over rice or boiled potatoes.